The Neu Kirche Studio Program provides affordable open-plan studios to local artists. Both emerging, mid-career and established Pittsburgh artists are invited to apply. Applications are reviewed annually. The next deadline is July 31, 2016.
Currently studios A, C, E and F are available (see studio map below). Rent ranges from $189 – $220.
The NK Studio Program provides a community and space for artist to develop and grow their practice. Under our program we provide access to mentorship, studio visits from industry professionals, group open critiques and opportunities to present and promote your work at a variety of NK sponsored event. We offer space for collaboration, group meeting, and access to our event space and gallery.
Selections are made by staff recommendations to a review committee consisting of board representation as well as local and visiting art professionals. All aspects of an artist’s practice within a contemporary context, their level of activity as a working artist, and their history of community involvement will be taken into consideration during this process.
Artists are expected to work in their studios on a consistent and ongoing basis. Studios are workspaces, not living spaces. Standard safety procedures are required, including a no smoking policy. Please indicate and explain your space requirements in your cover letter. It is up to the collective group of studio artists to ensure that all studio spaces are maintained according to individual specifications.
Email Lee@neukirche.org or call (412) 322-2224 with questions or to schedule a tour.
To apply send the following via email with the subject line Studio Application:
- Cover Letter - Include a brief explanation of your artistic practice, skills and experiences, objectives and studio size requirements.
- Artist Statement - A one page (maximum 500 words) artist statement describing your practice and intent.
- Goals - A one paragraph explanation as to how the studio position at NK will benefit you and your work.
- Community & Socially Engaged Work - Please include a one page description of your experience and/or interest in community-based or socially engaged work. Please site any relevant projects or volunteer programs you have engaged in that have informed your practice.
- Resume & Professional References - Curriculum Citae (C.V.) Please list the name and contact information of two professional references. (Email and phone number preferred.)
- Work Samples - Please inlcude up to 10 supporting files that exemplify your practice. These may consist of images, writing samples videos or audio samples. If submitting video, please submit a list of links in a .pdf or .doc file
The general studio space is open and meant to be flexible to promote collaboration. Movable partition walls are provided for hanging space and to designate individual studios within the larger area.The studio rental fee includes 24/7 access, street and after-hours parking, wifi and access to a kitchen. Rental rates are kept affordable with a renewable yearly leases.